[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Is life just a deep dream? : Philosophy / Psychology • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Is life just a deep dream?

Discuss Philosophical or Psychological subjects and topics.

Is life just a deep dream?

Postby Scepcop » 17 Dec 2011, 00:40

Interesting thoughts.

http://socraticsociety.wordpress.com/20 ... am-theory/

Cut the Crap…The Dream Theory
Posted on May 26, 2009 by unswsocrates | 3 Comments

By Albert Russell

When I was asked to present a topic, I felt like a person in the middle of a hot and dry desert who suddenly heard the sound of water, and found hope of reaching the water.

I wanted to talk about Arthur Schopenhauer’s book “On the suffering of the world”, but then I thought it might be better to talk about some fundamental questions: “Who am I?”, “Where am I coming from?”, “Where am I going to?’’ and “Do I really exist?”

I have been thinking about the answers to these questions for a long time. As a result, I have come to develop a theory which provides me with satisfactory answers. The theory is that the whole universe is nothing more than a deep dream. And time and space are the factors which make this dream deeper, making it easier to believe it as reality. Since an object has both time and space dimensions, then it will experience past, present and future in one direction. If the same object exists in a realm in which there is no time and space, then there is no past, present and future concerning the object. In other words that object knows about past, present and future at the same moment.

If we assume that this world we live in is a dream containing time and space dimensions, and the waking world is the world with no time and space dimensions, then when we wake up those questions will become meaningless, since there is no past, present and future in the waking world. These questions only belong to the dreaming world.

But this theory leads me to some other questions. “Regarding this theory, do the definitions of religion, science and philosophy change from the dreaming realm to the waking one?”, “Are we free in this dreaming world?”, “Did we choose to be a part of this dream?”

When I read the book “On the suffering of the world” by Schopenhauer, I came to believe even more firmly in my dreaming theory, as I felt a deep connection between my ideas and his. Here is a passage from his book:

“Life can be regarded as a dream and death as the awakening from it: but it must be remembered that the personality, the individual, belongs to the dreaming and not to the awakened consciousness, which is why death appears to the individual as annihilation. In any event, death is not, from this point of view, to be considered a transition to a state completely new and foreign to us, but rather a return to one originally our own from which life has been only a brief absence.”
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Re: Is life just a deep dream?

Postby Freethinker84 » 20 Dec 2011, 19:56

Wow. I have had those exact same thoughts. This is the first time I've seen another person discussing it.
Freethinker84

Postby Craig Browning » 21 Dec 2011, 03:40

It's actually a very ancient concept and can be loosely seen in certain Buddhist and Hindu teachings as well as those of various indigenous people around the globe. There's even a short story that was popular in the mid-70s about some guy having a day-dream. The punch-line being at the end of the story when you realize it's "God" that's doing the dreaming. . .
Craig Browning

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Jan 2012, 02:16

Craig Browning

Postby Arouet » 04 Jan 2012, 02:37

Putting aside what is obviously a spammer , Craig, college = university is a US thing. In Ontario we have colleges and universities. The colleges are more technically oriented and things like nursing, paralegals, as well. Certain courses you choose can limit your track to college or university, depending on if you do the right prerequisites.
Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 04 Jan 2012, 03:04

ProfWag

Postby Craig Browning » 04 Jan 2012, 21:10

I've never thought about it that way but can kind of make sense of it given my ties to the University of California and the different campus settings of that same institution I've taken classes at on various topics; same parental blanket but different physical aspect thereof.

It's a clarification I've never heard of before, then again the UK seems to bastardize the English language and how we normal folk understand it :roll:
Craig Browning

Postby angelitaB » 23 Apr 2012, 12:46

No. Life is what God had given us to enjoy. Its not a dream.
angelitaB

Postby Craig Browning » 23 Apr 2012, 23:23

Craig Browning

Return to Philosophy / Psychology