[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Brian Josephson, Nobel Prize Winner, joins SCEPCOP! : Announcements - Page 3 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Brian Josephson, Nobel Prize Winner, joins SCEPCOP!

Announcements and site updates.

Re: Brian Josephson, Nobel Prize Winner, joins SCEPCOP!

Postby Scepcop » 02 Sep 2009, 07:48

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 02 Sep 2009, 07:58

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 02 Sep 2009, 08:00

ProfWag,
Sit back for 90 minutes and listen to this presentation on EVIDENCE!

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 02 Sep 2009, 08:30

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby Scepcop » 02 Sep 2009, 15:20

Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 02 Sep 2009, 21:09

I'm not so sure why you and many others have this deep facination with Randi. He's a magician who wants to educate people on "the other side of the story." He continued the tradition of Houdini and others. I tend to agree with most of what he states. Everything? No. Most, yes. I have mentioned on here before that I don't like his use of the word "woo." There are people who truly believe that they can do what they state. This is not "woo." If one says they can do something that hasn't been proven before, then they should have to prove it. Science is about repeated successes. So, they should have to do it twice (hence the preliminary test before the big challenge.) He has done much more good than bad. Just my humble opinion, but I'm sure you'll slam me for tending to believe most of what he says. I just think it's silly for people to get their underwear in a knot over his work. Just silly.
As for the government, I believe that a nation should stick together or otherwise, it will fail. Our government is our leaders, like it or not. If we don't like what our government is telling us, then we (as in the US, UK, and other democracies) can choose to replace them or we can move to another country (I hear Iran, North Korea, and Somolia are lovely this time of year). There is a checks and balances system in our government which makes it extremely difficult to "get one over" on the public. Is it a perfect system? Absolutely not. Does the government hide things from us that maybe they shouldn't? Absolutely. Do I lose sleep over it? Absolutely not. I spent over 24 years defending your right to say what you want and believe what you want. For me to believe that the government is a disaster goes against everything I fought so hard to uphold. I'm just not going to sit back and let people say and do things that could hurt my great country without them having some sort of valid reasoning behind it. It appears to me that many of the subjects of this forum include a personal agenda to get our military out of Iraq (9/11 specifically). You watch (and remember me saying this), once 2010 comes around and we have all of our military out of Iraq, these conspiracy theorists will start to go away.
Finally, I have seen people fall pray to scams and other things too many times in the past. I have family members who have spent thousands of dollars on things such as psychics and fortunte tellers and for what? They are unlicensed counselors in my opinion.
As for your Larry Dossey story, it could very easily be just that, a story...
Wag
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 02 Sep 2009, 21:22

I forgot to comment on your last sentence about admitting things are possible.
Please refer me to where I said something was IMPOSSIBLE. I don't think I have. That's a pseudoskeptic and I'm trying to avoid that moniker. I do believe that anything is possible, but I also believe that most these things are just highly unlikely until proven with valid and unbiased experimentation.
On the flip side of the coin, now that I freely admit that things are possible, would you admit that it's possible that parapsychology, ghosts, UFOs, or 9/11 conspiracies may not be real?
I'll be waiting...
Last edited by ProfWag on 02 Sep 2009, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 02 Sep 2009, 22:24

ProfWag

Postby quantumparanormal » 02 Sep 2009, 22:48

Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby quantumparanormal » 02 Sep 2009, 22:57

Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby ProfWag » 02 Sep 2009, 23:19

ProfWag

Postby ProfWag » 02 Sep 2009, 23:21

ProfWag

Postby quantumparanormal » 02 Sep 2009, 23:27

Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

Postby ProfWag » 02 Sep 2009, 23:31

ProfWag

Postby quantumparanormal » 02 Sep 2009, 23:35

Mike G.
Quantum Paranormal
quantumparanormal

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements