[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Horrors of Public Education : Off-Topic Board - Page 5 • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

The Horrors of Public Education

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Re: The Horrors of Public Education

Postby Arouet » 08 Dec 2010, 04:19

Ok, so I decided to actually watch the first video (at least it was short). Sure, in a very superficial manner, school is like prison: there are rules, there is a hierarchy, it is mandatory to go, the kids have very little say. Ok, all when and good. But it's a skin deep comparison.

First of all, kids need some kind of structure. They do not have the mental maturity to make decisions on their own. And so when they are at home parents must direct them, and when they are at school, teachers must direct them. No matter where they are, they will be directed. Yes there is a lot of memorization in school: it is because there is a lot of basic knowledge that children need to learn in a complex world. But they don't just learn to memorize: they learn how to think, they learn how to compare different points of view, they learn how to do research, and they also learn to be creative. I learned how to play an instrument in school. I took an extensive interest in creative writing even writng a "novel" when I was in grade 6.

A good school will strike a balance between ordered learning, and fostering imagination.

The youtuber provides no evidence that children in school are taught nothing but to obey, and not how to think critically. He simply declares it. He offers no solutions. Perhaps he is implying that there should be no school, that kids should do -what? Explore the forest like Rousseau advocated? We live in a conplex world requiring a certain amount of sophistication. Are we just going to let kids stay home and watch tv? What will they learn? What wil happen when they grow up?

The video flashes an anarchy synbol at one point, hinting that that is his prefered system. Is there any evidence whatsover, whether practical or experimental, that shows that Anarchy is a good philosophy for a society?

And school differs from prison in many ways. It's entire premise is different. Prison is a place of punishment, with some learning. School is a place for learning, with some punishment.

If the youtuber has a better system in mind, let's hear it. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement, and in some cases vast room for improvement. But this video is light on substantive and high on hyperbole. It is manipulative and immature.
Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Dec 2010, 18:47

NinjaPuppy

Postby Scepcop » 10 Dec 2010, 17:21

Arouet, how would you contrast the public school system with prison? They contain the exact same features and environment.

How come kids in Europe don't hate school as much as kids in America do? Could it be that their schools are far less oppressive?

Check out these podcasts at the schoolsucksproject:

http://www.schoolsucksproject.com/podcasts
“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Scepcop
Site Admin

Postby ProfWag » 10 Dec 2010, 18:09

ProfWag

Postby Arouet » 11 Dec 2010, 00:30

Arouet

Postby ProfWag » 11 Dec 2010, 01:38

ProfWag

Postby BaileyBelmont » 25 Jul 2016, 19:11

Hello!
To continue the conversation, I need to say, that there is a lot of online educational services, blogs() and other useful links, where you can find huge amount of knowledge!
BaileyBelmont

Postby ChristopherVogan » 16 Nov 2016, 22:25

Sorry, I have no idea but here is the place you can get the piece of advice . They work with various software and databases on a daily basis (oopsy, tautology). Good luck!
ChristopherVogan

Postby edinaclark11 » 19 Jan 2017, 19:42

I'm certain that a large portion of you have heard the late changes the Texas Board of Education has as a top priority for the Curriculum and I am going to get help with in my studies. As I'm certain a significant number of you would concur, their choices depend on one-sided political perspectives, and are in certainty doing the adolescent of America an insult. I'm a 18 year old Texan that tragically needs to persevere through government funded training for the present. While I understand that this choice does not influence me since I am beginning school one year from now.
edinaclark11

Postby Hilary999 » 21 Jan 2017, 16:18

I found this thread post amazing because I am an animated video artist as well as I offer service at HelloAnimations. Currently, I am working on horrors video clip and it would be live soon.
Hilary999

Postby assignmentprovider » 10 Feb 2017, 15:00

The assignment help Australia provides consultancy services for students in helping students getting the assistance they want to earn top grades.
assignmentprovider

Postby cook90 » 21 Aug 2017, 21:34

Hello? Are you ok? Why school is like the prison? Rules exist to train discipline which is crucial for a successful member of present society. When have you seen that school shuts your mouth giving zero attention to your opinion? You are important member, a material for teachers to create something worthy. You still belong yourself but it's better to listen to people who know something about life.
Oh, hello there! Don't mind me, just offering you since i'm a legit master of essay writing!
cook90

Postby Ayurvedaa » 24 Aug 2017, 16:42

Parents must support there children and appreciate each other's beliefs, needs, strengths, and efforts; that's how they can teach morality lessons

Ayurvedaa

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Board