[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time : Off-Topic Board • SCEPCOP Forum

View Active Topics          View Your Posts          Latest 100 Topics          Switch to Mobile

Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time

Discuss Other Topics not related to the Paranormal or Conspiracies (within reason of course).

Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time

Postby scotte68 » 26 Jun 2012, 13:32

Every day for the past 10+ years I have been annoyed by a specific number: the number 11. I see it on every clock that I come in contact with. I don't mean hallucinations. I mean I always seem to glance at the clock at a specific time. What are the odds that I would always glance at any given clock when the time is 7:11am, 8:11am, 9:11am, 10:11am or 11:11am? In my opinion I am experiencing this phenomenon far more frequently that statistically possible.

Care to take a guess at the time I see the most? If you guessed 9:11am, you’re right!
Lately, the number of times I am seeing “11” is increasing.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
scotte68

Re: Always seem to glance at the clock at specific time

Postby Arouet » 26 Jun 2012, 19:57

How often should one see it statistically?

How often do you see it?

How often do you see every other time on the clock?

How are you controlling for confirmation bias?

Welcome to the forum!
Arouet

Postby scotte68 » 16 Jul 2012, 11:03

Hi Arouet,

Thanks. : ) I think.

How often should one see it statistically?
If we use seconds as our unit then I have to take 24 * 60 because the clock will indicate 11 after the hour for 60 seconds each time it happened. So, that would be 1440 / 86400 which is 1/60.

How often do you see it?
I have had it happen as many as 5 times in a day.
It is not just the clock. I started the dishwasher the other day and the run time came up 111.
It never does that. I made an entry in my electronic dictionary and then noticed when I was done
the time stamp was 11:11pm.

How often do you see every other time on the clock?
I will have to track that. Actually, that would be good.
I really don't look at the clock that much. I will go hours at a time and then think to myself, "I need to check the time."

How are you controlling for confirmation bias?
All I have is my word that I am experiencing this at random.

Consider this. My brother, my wife and friends seem to conveniently texting me at 11 past the hour.
They were just as surprised about the time when I told them.

I get nixel notices on my cell phone at 11 past the hour. I create blog posts and then notice the next day the time stamp is 8:11pm or 10:11 pm. I go to bed and pick up my clock to check the alarm and it's 11 past the hour.

I'm working on possible theories as to why.
1. My routine lends itself to this time.
2. Could there be a connection between universal patterns and human biology
3. Could my internal biological clock and my analytical mind be in synch (I'm just obsession about 11 past the hour)
4. feel free to suggest a theory.

Are you familiar with Carl Gustav Jung and the concept of Synchronicity?
His concept does not apply to my situation directly but I think there may be something there.
I am looking at this more in depth.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlewood%27s_law

B.Rgds,
Scott
scotte68

Postby Arouet » 17 Jul 2012, 02:04

Arouet

Postby scotte68 » 17 Jul 2012, 12:34

Good stuff. I appreciate your feedback. :0)

I see what you mean about "Confirmation Bias". Although the term is very new to me, I think I innately understand it. I could be deceiving my self about how often I look at the clock. That's why I need to write it down and look at it. Like trying to loose weight by counting calories. If I don't write it down, I'm gaining weight and not loosing. It's because I deceive myself about how many calories I really eat. Which I do willingly. haha.

I have to admit that I don't have the time or energy to do a statistical study, but it really is bugging me. I may actually try to track the times I look at the clock. I have to prepare mentally for that exercise.

Also, I don't want to forget there are instances that are related to the clock, but I'm NOT glancing at the clock at the particular time in question.

For example, go to
www dot thenumber11 dot com/forums/topic/daily-11-sightings/ and scroll to the bottom post or CTRL + F and search for #297.

I have two pictures of an instance where the time is 11 past the hour, but I am not looking at the clock.
They happened today. One email notification came in at 1:11 am and another at 1:11pm. That is the first time that has happened with these particular email notifications.

How would I factor that into a study?

B.Rgds,
Scott
scotte68

Postby Arouet » 17 Jul 2012, 21:53

Arouet

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Jul 2012, 02:37

NinjaPuppy

Postby scotte68 » 18 Jul 2012, 13:28

scotte68

Postby NinjaPuppy » 18 Jul 2012, 20:02

NinjaPuppy

Postby Arouet » 19 Jul 2012, 04:23

Your insight about 9/11 is probably a good one - and honestly, I'm not sure you even need something so profound to start noticing something.

Why don't you start by doing a prospective internet test. Don't delete any email you receive for the next month. Including all the junk mail. Then count how often the number 11 appears as the last two digits of every email and see what percentage you get. We'd probably need to think about it more to figure out if there are other factors to consider, but as a rough, preliminary study that is easy to do, it might tell us something interesting (or not interesting).

Really, what you should do, is track how many of each number from 00 to 59 occur in all those emails and see what kind of distribution you get. You might see some clusters around the quarter of the hour (if automatic emails are scheduled to release at those times), but I would expect you'd get a relatively even distribution. We're only talking about the minute markings, not the hourly ones.

In any event, I think you're on the right track on how to approach this.
Arouet

Postby UKIDNME » 04 Jan 2014, 05:35

I too, see the number 13 all the time, about 5 times a day, and this has been happening for over 10 years. It doesn't matter what im doing, this number follows me in almost all entry devices, tickets, ballots, etc.

ironically my wife sees 9,11 often, but not as much as me and my 13
UKIDNME

Postby NinjaPuppy » 08 Jan 2014, 04:17

UKIDNME - You may have gotten swept up in a mass spam delete. If that's the case, then rejoin and PM me. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ninjapuppy
NinjaPuppy

Return to Off-Topic Board